.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

26 Oct 2018

Momen wins Channel VAS Championships to end trophy drought



World No.4 Tarek Momen has ended a four-year trophy drought after beating fellow Egyptian Ali Farag 3-2 to win the Channel VAS Championships at St George’s Hill, PSA World Tour Gold event held in Weybridge.

Momen had been in brilliant form throughout the tournament – dispatching Cameron Pilley, Paul Coll and Diego Elias without dropping a single game – and was up against the 2017 runner-up in Farag.



Momen was also a beaten finalist at this tournament, losing to Coll in 2016, and he twice went a game behind against the World No.2 today, but fought back both times to force a decider as he played some accurate, attacking squash.

The drama inside St George’s Hill Lawn Tennis Club rose to a crescendo in the fifth as Momen thought he had won it after playing a winner while holding a championship ball. Farag questioned whether the ball had clipped the tin, and Momen agreed to play a let to put his title win on temporary hold.

But the 30-year-old held his nerve to close out the win on the very next point as he completed an 8-11, 11-8, 7-11, 11-5, 11-9 victory to capture the fifth PSA Tour trophy of his career, and his first since the Macau Open in October 2014.



“I can’t believe it, it’s been four years since I won a title,” said an emotional Momen afterwards.

“It’s the biggest of my career and I’m really proud of this moment. As for Ali, I have the utmost respect for him, he’s a really good friend of mine. We’ve been away for a month and each of us has won a title, so we should be fine going back home.

“Putting everything aside, I’m really happy with how I’ve progressed mentally over the past year and a half. I used to give up when I was really tired, now I’m much better at it. I can be exhausted, but I can still push and find other plans.”

Final: 2018 Channel VAS Championships at St George’s Hill
[3] Tarek Momen (EGY) 3-2 [2] Ali Farag (EGY)  8-11, 11-8, 7-11, 11-5, 11-9 (87m)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...