.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

8 Feb 2018

Squash: Joelle King beats world champion to win Cleveland Classic squash title


Joelle King, left, claimed a big win at the Cleveland Classic. Photo / Getty Images.
Joelle King, left, claimed a big win at the Cleveland Classic. Photo / Getty Images.
Kiwi squash ace Joelle King has beaten reigining world champion Raneem El Welily of Egypt to claim the NZ$68,800 Cleveland Classic title in Ohio.
King, ranked No.9 in the world, won 11-8, 11-8, 11-8 to claim the victory, levelling the career ledger between the two players over their four matches to date.
"She [El Welily] has been playing some amazing squash, but I guess I was a bit hungry today," King said.
"I felt a little flat in my last couple of tournaments and I just wanted to play my best squash and see where it took me.
Advertisement
"She is someone I've idolised even though we're the same age [29], she's been someone I've looked up to as she was always so good, to come away with a win over someone of that calibre is a great feeling. "
The result was just the lift King was looking for after she had been left disappointed by some of her recent performances.
"The worst I'd done this year is finishing to my seeding," King said.
"I guess it's not really disastorous, but I guess where I feel like everytime I go out on the court I'm in with a chance and it's just always wanting to do better."
The 29-year-old from Cambridge will now spend a couple of weeks in Connecticuit preparing for the NZ$345,000 Windy City Open, which is held in Chicago at the end of the month.
The New Zealand squash team for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games will be announced tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...