.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

25 Oct 2018

Egypt’s El Tayeb Beats England’s Perry to Clinch Carol Weymuller Title


Egypt’s World No.3 Nour El Tayeb claimed her first title of the season after she defeated England’s World No.8 Sarah-Jane Perry to take the Carol Weymuller Open title in Brooklyn, America.

Top seed El Tayeb – who was a quarter-finalist at last year’s tournament - had been in strong form all week, defeating the likes of compatriot Hania El Hammamy, India’s Joshna Chinappa and England’s Alison Waters en route to the final.

The Egyptian took the first game as El Tayeb found her rhythm to control the opener to take it 11-8. However, Perry came back strongly to level the scores in an evenly contested second game, which saw both players consistently exchange points before Englishwoman Perry – who last month won the Oracle NetSuite Open in San Francisco – stepped up her game to take it on a 12-10 tie-break.

In the third, El Tayeb took a 5-2 lead before Perry once again fought back to put the scores at 6-6, however, that would be the last point Perry would take in that game as El Tayeb produced some of her best squash to limit the errors and take a 2-1 advantage.

The Egyptian continued to deny Perry a way back into the encounter as she kept her squash accurate to take the match by an 11-8, 10-12, 11-6, 11-8 scoreline in 50 minutes and take the PSA Bronze tournament title.

"At the beginning of this season I think I put too much pressure on myself to do better than last year,” said 25-year-old El Tayeb.

“Being in the top four area I was too desperate. I should have enjoyed it more being in the mix. Then I lost early last week too [at the U.S. Open] so I just thought I should enjoy, relax and give it the best I could and this result shouldn’t matter.

“SJ is very positive and whether she wins or loses she takes more from the match than if she puts pressure on herself.

“Over the last two years there have been a lot of changes in my life, being married to Ali [Farag] who helps me a lot, together with Haitham Effat and Hossam Nasser, who has added a lot of attacking to my game and Ali Ismail my fitness coach, he has made me fit enough to back up my matches. Thanks to them all.”

Result – Final: 2018 Carol Weymuller Open

[1] Nour El Tayeb (EGY) bt [2] Sarah-Jane Perry (ENG) 3-1: 11-8, 10-12, 11-6, 11-8 (50m)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...