.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

22 Aug 2018

1st Olusegun Obasanjo Squash Open: Abdulrahaman, Olatunji Sr. Champion




Professional Squash Association (PSA) players, Abdulrahaman Olanrewaju Yusuff and Olatunji Yemisi have emerged champions of the 1st edition of the HE Chief Olusegun Obasanjo National Squash Open (Senior).

In the men’s match, Yusuff saw off Idowu Enimakure 3-1 (11/3, 8/11, 11/4, 11/8), while Olatunji Sr. was once again too hot for promising youngster, Rofiat AbdulAzeez in Saturday’s final (women). The impregnable Olatunji triumphed 3-0 (11/9, 11/8, 11/1).

The victory, at the Olusegun Obasanjo Private Library (OOPL) Squash court in Abeokuta, Ogun state is the Nigeria squash queen’s second title in two weeks. Earlier this month, the nominee for the Nigerian Sports Award Racket Sportsperson Of The Year won the Safeguard Zimbabwe Open Squash Championship in Bulawayo.

Olusegun Obasanjo Squash Open victors appreciative
Olatunji Sr. in an exclusive chat with Top Media Nigeria after her success in the Nigeria Squash Federation (NSF)-organized competition expressed her joy at winning the maiden Olusegun Obasanjo National Squash Open. As well, she is grateful to the organizers of the tournament.

“I feel very happy and great winning the 1st edition of this tournament. I have wonderful matches from all my opponents from the beginning of the tournament till the end.


present at the event: Technical Director, Lagos State Squash Association, Captain Dayo Awobokun, NSF President, Mr Boye Oyerinde and former President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo
“In addition, I want to say big thanks to the sponsors/organizers of the tournament for bringing up this kind of tournament. I am looking forward to the next edition,” the Ekiti-born athlete concludes.

Similarly, Abdulrahaman is in appreciation mode.

“I give glory and adoration to Almighty Allah for the success of the tournament. Also, I will like to thank my sponsors for their usual support which enable me to participate in different tournaments across the globe to improve my game. The likes of Captain Adedayo Awobokun, Mr. Femi Adeyemo, Mr. Bolaji Akinyemi and Mr. Muyiwa of Ivory Health Club.

“Furthermore, I will like to say big thanks to my teammates, because without them, I cannot do it alone. As well, the entire Lagos state team who display their unending support, before, during and after the tournament. I really appreciate them all.”

He continues: “To the coaches who are supportive with training and fitness programs, starting from my day-one coaches: Coach Tunde Yahyah, Coach Bola Mogaji, Coach Yusuf Durosinlorun, Coach Kabir Sanni, a.k.a ‘Eba’. Not forgetting Brother Kabir who always advise me on what to improve on.”

“I will also like to say huge thank you to the first set of people who encouraged me when I started in Kwara. Persons like Prof. Tayo Talabi, Prof. Olayinka Buhari and Late Engr. Akinola Matthew (May his soul rest in peace).

“To my family too. For their support and prayers always. I really appreciate.”

On the tournament itself, the top-ranked player states: “Although, I have won series of Championships, this is my first National Open. The federation has been off for a while. Thank God the board is back to life.

“The tournament was well-organized. I say thank you to the sponsors who make the tournament a memorable one. Because I cannot recall when last squash players are fed, accommodated and provided with transport. There were even some gifts to take home.

“To all the sponsors, on behalf of my fellow players, I say a big thank you!” Abdulrahaman notes as he speak exclusively to Top Media Nigeria.

Under-19
Meanwhile, in the Juniors category, Onaopemipo Adegoke continue to be a nemesis for Headwaters Squash Academy’s Desmond Iguodala.

Fresh from his outing at the Safeguard Zimbabwe Open Squash Championship, ‘Onas’ as he is fondly called defeated Iguodala Sr. 3-0 (15/13, 12/10, 11/4) in 39 absorbing minutes to cement his status as national junior champion.

In the female junior category final, Odunade Adeyi was victorious over fellow Kwaran, Kudirat Dahood. Score was 3-1.

The 6-day event in squash enthusiast, Olusegun Obasanjo’s name has a prize money of N1.8 million.

News Credit: Top Media

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...