.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

28 Mar 2018

Castagnet Claims Wimbledon Club Squash Squared Open Title

 

France’s World No.28 Mathieu Castagnet claimed his first title since the 2016 Canary Wharf Classic at the Wimbledon Club Squash Squared Open as the fifth seed made it two final defeats in a row for England’s World No.34 Tom Richards.
Castagnet – who defeat Ben Coleman, Youssef Soliman and James Willstrop en route to the final – took control of the opening game to take an important lead.
The second game was a much closer affair with Richards – who was beaten in the final last year by Alan Clyne – executing his shots better, however, the Frenchman was able to get the better of his English opponent in a close ending and then recovered from an early 5-0 deficit to take the third and complete a straight-games victory by an 11-6, 11-9, 11-6 scoreline.

The win marks Castagnet’s first PSA World Tour title since the Canary Wharf Classic back in March 2016.
“The last time I won one of the biggest tournaments in my career was in London at Canary Wharf,” said the 31-year-old Frenchman.
“And two years later I have won this one – I should be born here!
“I want to thank my wife, every day she helps me make my comeback on the PSA World Tour and so I really want to thank her and Arnaud Hays and Renan Lavigne.
“I think the difference was the second game, when I got it to go 2-0 up it gave me so much confidence because you just need one game and he needs three and it’s hard to come back.
“He started the third game well and I saw him struggling a bit when I was using my cross, so I kept pushing him.”
Result – Final
[5] Mathieu Castagnet (FRA) bt [7] Tom Richards (ENG) 3-0: 11-6, 11-9, 11-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...