.....An iDEASCOPE MEDIA

30 Oct 2017

2017 Qatar Classic - Day 1: As It Happens

It's back and better then ever before!
We're live from day one of the 2017 Qatar Classic as the world's best take to court for the second World Series event of the 2017/18 PSA World Tour season.
Here's today's schedule:
12:00 Diego Elias (PER) v [7] James Willstrop (ENG)
13:00 Ryan Cuskelly (AUS) v [Q] Leo Au (HKG)
14:00 Daryl Selby (ENG) v [Q] Saurav Ghosal (IND)
15:00 [5] Ali Farag (EGY) v [Q] Karim Ali Fathi (EGY)
17:30 [Q] Chris Simpson (ENG) v [3] Mohamed ElShorbagy (EGY)
18:30 Fares Dessouky (EGY) v [WC] Abdulla Mohd Al Tamimi (QAT)
19:30 [1] Gregory Gaultier (FRA) v Cesar Salazar (MEX)
20:30 Zahed Mohamed (EGY) v Gregoire Marche (FRA)
Elias Takes Out Willstrop In 3
A hugely impressive performance from Diego Elias saw the Peruvian – who has already shown an improved maturity on court so far this season – defeat former World No.1 James Willstrop in straight games to secure a berth in the second round of the 2017 Qatar Classic.
The victory, which follows Elias's win over Nick Matthew at the NetSuite Open, saw Elias come from behind to win a close first game to set up the platform for the 3-0 win – a victory that cements his graduation from prodigal talent to genuine top calibre contender on the PSA World Tour.
The opening game saw the two matched evenly, with Willstrop's precise ball placement nullifying Elias's superior movement, but after taking the opener 12-10 it was all Elias from then on as he grew in confidence and stature on court – ultimately leaving Willstrop looking heavy and flat footed at the end.
“It's aways hard playing experienced players like James and Nick,” said Elias.
“I just try to put a lot of pressure on them and I'm feeling good at the moment and today, I think I played well. This could be a good tournament for me.
“Today the first game was very important. I tried to play as fast as I can and it was working.”
Diego Elias (PER) bt [7] James Willstrop (ENG) 3-0: 12-10, 11-5, 11-8 (46m)
Au About It
Hong Kong qualifier Leo Au continued the theme of upsets on day one of the Qatar Classic as he overcame the challenge of Australia's Ryan Cuskelly in a high quality four game affair.
For Cuskelly it was a return to the venue that saw him achieve a long awaited breakthrough into the top 20 in 2015, but it proved to be an unhappy hunting ground this time around as he fell flat against an inspired Au, who put in a performance of note and one that could lay the foundations for his own long awaited surge into the top 20.
The opening game saw the two probing and testing, opening up all four corners of the court through a series of patient rallies before Cuskelly took the initiative and opened up a one game lead before Au matched him in the second.
The Australian looked certain to restore his lead on the scoreboard in the third only to see Au put together a purple patch to come from 4-8 and snatch the game. It was a run that dented Cuskelly's confidence and in the fourth game it was one way traffic for Au as he out-hustled Cuskelly, playing with more urgency and using his speed to his advantage, covering all four corners of the court to seal the win courtesy of a sublime, irretrievable drop shot that summed up his performance.
“I had no expectations today,” said Au.
“Ryan is a good player, he's very solid and consistent. Today I don't think I had any pressure and I played well and that third game was key.”
Result:
[Q] Leo Au (HKG) bt Ryan Cuskelly (AUS) 3-1: 7-11, 11-7, 11-8, 11-4 (63m)
Ghosal Storms Past Selby To Secure RD2 Sport For First Time
Ghosal Storms Past Selby To Secure RD2 Sport For First Time
India’s Saurav Ghosal booked a place in the second round of the Qatar Classic for the first time in his career courtesy of an impressive 3-0 win over Daryl Selby that saw him continue the fine form that has accompanied him through the start of the 2017/18 season.
After suffering from a dip in form through 2016 and falling as low as No.30 on the rankings Ghosal looked renewed on court, showing the qualities that took him into the top 15 just two years ago as he used his pace and movement to expose Selby whilst his racket skills exploited anything loose from the Englishman.
“I had a good week last week in St George and had a decent start to the season in Macau too – so I’m just trying to enjoy my squash as much as I possibly can,” said Ghosal.
“Of course we all want to win, we train to win and sometimes you get disappointed when it doesn’t happen and you feel like the winning should be coming.
“But I’m happiest when I’m training. So I’m enjoying playing, and feeling privileged to be competing at great events such as this in Qatar. I’m trying to do the things I know I’m capable of – things which in the past I haven’t executed as well as I should have.
“If I can enjoy it for the most part then I feel I can give a good account of myself.”
Result:
[Q] Saurav Ghosal (IND) bt Daryl Selby (ENG) 3-0: 11-4, 11-8, 11-2 (40m)
Farag A Class Above Fathi
As expected it was Ali Farag who came out on top in the first all-Egyptian battle of the event, downing Karim Ali Fathi 3-0 with a performance that underlined once again his recent rise to prominence.
Farag was simply too good for his compatriot, moving effortlessly to dominate the court and punish the errant balls he was forcing from the racket of Fathi through sustained consistent ball placement and control.
“We play together a lot at home and it's always tough in practice,” said Farag.
“I’m lucky as I’m fresh, whereas he had to come through two hard qualifying matches. That made the difference today.
“I'm happy with the way I played but every match is different – nobody cares about the past of history. Anyone can win on the day. I just try to take it one match at a time.”
Result:
[5] Ali Farag (EGY) bt [Q] Karim Ali Fathi (EGY) 3-0: 11-7, 11-5, 11-1 (26m)
Business As Usual For ElShorbagy
Two-time tournament winner Mohamed ElShorbagy began his bid to regain the title he lost last year with a strong showing against England's Chris Simpson, coming through 3-0 to overcome a valiant effort from the challenger.
The first game was routine for the former World No.1 but he will have slight concerns following a period of lapsed concentration in the second saw him string error after error together to gift Simpson a strong lead and put himself under pressure. Were it not for a Simpson tin at 9-9 the scoreline could have been very different but in the end ElShorbagy rallied back in style to set up the platform for a dominant third game that takes him safely through to the round of sixteen.
“You don’t arrive to the top of the ranking by yourself and I have a whole team behind me – without them, I’m nothing, and I want to thank them for it,” said ElShorbagy.
“I like playing here. I come back year after year and would love to get my name on the trophy again. This is where I won my first ever World Series title back in 2013 and I feel this year the event has raised the bar and I'm looking forward to hopefully having a good week.”
Result:
[3] Mohamed ElShorbagy (EGY) bt [Q] Chris Simpson (ENG) 3-0: 11-7, 11-9, 11-5 (36m)
Dessouky Sees Off Home Hope
Fares Dessouky thwarted any hopes of home success as he dismissed Qatar’s number one Abdulla Mohd Al Tamimi in three games, during which he never really looked troubled by the Qatari.
Dessouky looked at ease as he strutted around court to come away with the win that takes him through to round two with minimal energy expended.
“I know he always plays well here in Doha, so I had to make sure I kept my focus at all times,” said Dessouky.
“I was surprised as I expected a loud support for Abdulla, but everybody was cheering for me like if I was in Egypt.
“He played very well in the second and third games – I had to change my game plan, so I’m very glad I managed to get through in three today.”
Result:
Fares Dessouky (EGY) bt [WC] Abdulla Mohd Al Tamimi (QAT) 3-0: 11-6, 11-8, 11-5
The General Returns To Form
After missing the first few events of the 2017/18 season due to injury, World No.1 Gregory Gaultier marked his return to competitive action with a comprehensive 3-0 win over dangerous Mexican Cesar Salazar to secure a place in the second round of the Qatar Classic.
A reoccurrence of the ankle injury that thwarted his 2016 World Championship campaign struck Gaultier towards the end of pre-season, but he showed no signs of any lingering problems as he dealt with Salazar – who came off the back of a huge win over James Willstrop at the U.S. Open – with ease, coming through in just 37 minutes.
The French General will be particularly pleased with how he responded to a drop in concentration and levels during the third game to thwart any hopes Salazar had of extending the match.
“It’s been tough recently with the ankle injury so I came here happy to be back on court,” said Gaultier.
“I haven’t played on a glass court for so long so it felt a bit weird to start , and Cesar has been playing well and had some good wins recently, so I’m pleased to come through.
“I just tried to find my marks and not do anything too crazy. I need these kind of matches to help me get back to fitness.”
Result:
[1] Gregory Gaultier (FRA) bt Cesar Salazar (MEX) 3-0: 11-6, 11-2, 11-9 (37m)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NAIJA SQUASH MEDIA ADVERT PLACEMENTS

SQUASH: The Nigeria Squash Federation starts Grassroot Development program with 16 states

The Nigeria Squash Federation NSF jump started the Grassroot development program yesterday in Kwara state with 16 states across the cou...